Sunday, December 2, 2007

Finally Some Ducks!!!!!!!!!!!!


Things are starting to look up in SE PA! Myself, brother in law Tim, and good friend Rich went to are favorite spot hoping that a cold front that was coming would bring us a good day. We got what we hoped for. Cold weather, perfect wind, and hundreds of ducks mostly mallards were in the air from daybreak to shortly after lunch. The ducks didn't decoy well. I only brought 6 mallards, 6 blackducks, 6 ringnecks, and a pair of buffleheads. I went light because of what I saw the days before while scouting. I tried to match what I was seeing.....small groups! I was not expecting flights of ducks with nearly 30 birds each. We made the best of it slowly picking off pairs and single as the passed by. My decoy spread should have been 4 times larger, but who would have known that so many ducks would have showed up over a days time.

The GHG dekes did their job, and brought in 11 mallards & 1 pintail. It should have been more, but you know how it is................

I got to take a nice young drake pintail! This duck is a rare visitor hear this time of year. We always seem to see them in the spring on their way home. Not during hunting season. That duck was worth the day to me.



We also saw....Blackducks, GW Teal, Wigeon, Ringnecks, Buffleheads, and Common Mergansers.
Just a pefect day!

Tom

No comments: